22 Nov 2009
Tags: Alaric, Ara, Araminta, Caroline, Clementine, Cleo, Cohen, Daniel, Evangeline, Florence, Gracia, Holly, James, Joel, Johnny, Josefina, Josephine, Jude, Leander, Leo, Leonard, Leonardo, Leonidas, Leopold, Lulie, Lydia, Maria, Michael, Midnight, Molly, Newt, Nicole, Nikolai, Oral, Patience, Pilar, Pink, Sparrow, Sterling, Sue, Susannah, Verity
Alrighty then. Wow, nostalgic! It’s certainly been quite a while, but I suppose I’m ready to return to the blogging world. My troubles since last time have cleared up immensely, something I’m quite proud of. First off, some news and sightings in the baby-naming world:
• Nameberry‘s post on Lost Names of the 1880s is quite interesting — Lulie, Ara, and Gracia certainly intrigue me, and I’ll keep pushing for someone to use Araminta. Check out the Lost Boys’ Names, too, and look at Newt, Leander, Sterling, and the disappointing Pink and Oral.
• As you’ve all heard already, Joel Madden and Nicole Richie have had their second child, a boy named Sparrow James Midnight. But apparently, Madden was influenced by Johnny Cash’s A Boy Named Sue, so much so, that he named his son Sparrow with the sole purpose of his son getting teased, and subsequently toughening up. Chalk one up for bad parenting!
• Check out Verity’s posts over at Appellation Mtn. for info on Patience, Cohen, Pilar, and Alaric.
• And would you believe that Christmas is just over a month away? How the time flies! 2010 is almost upon us, and that means a whole new year of naming, and, of course, the stats for 2009’s most popular baby names! Is it too early to make a countdown?
• And because Christmas is very nearly here, it means the month with Holly as the most popular baby’s name is too. I like to call these the Holly-days!
Now, since it’s been a while, some of my favorites on my list have been changed and/or revised. Time to list the list!
• My favorites for girls now include Maria, Lydia, Caroline, Susannah, Florence, Evangeline, Clementine (Cleo is now possibly my very-favorite nickname), and Josephine/Josefina.
• James Daniel is still my favorite for a boy, but we have a new runner-up: Leo Michael. Leo is a diminutive of my grandpa’s name, Leonard, but with a spunkier quality than the longer form (Or Leopold, Leonardo, or Leonidas, for that matter). Yes, I’m aware that this seemingly negates my whole “No nicknames as names!” stance, but to be fair, Leo sounds like a whole-ish name. Anywho, my still-short boy’s list includes Nikolai, and even Jude as a middle name to honor what is quite possibly my favorite song in the stratosphere, Hey Jude.
• And, while we’re on the subject, there are some nicknames that, to me, work just fine, like Molly, for example.
• I’d like to take this time to plug one of my very favorite websites related to baby naming: bigbadbabynames.net, otherwise known as Baby’s Named a Bad, Bad Thing. There are some sassy, sassy ladies (and gentlemen) over there who have a few things to say about sparkleigh pryncess tryndee-licious names, and we have annual troll roasts, too! I’m over there as plain Mookie, so come join me and make a bunch of new friends as we squee at the babies in photowhores!
I suppose that’s it! Also stay tuned as I change the format of my site, and backtrack on some things I’ve missed throughout my absence. To my faithful followers who have continually checked my site in vain for updates, I apologize, and I love you dearly. (Well, I’d be willing to give you a cyber-hug and maybe a virtual pat on the back.) Goodbye for now!
09 Aug 2009
Tags: Angela, Anita, Archer, Beatrix, Bennett, Caroline, Ciaran, Coraline, Daniel, Declan, Denise, Eloise, Evangeline, Harper, Harrison, Isadora, James, Josephine, Leah, Leonard, Levi, Lydia, Margaret, Mitchell, Stellan, Susanna
Okay, I know I write this blog and everything, but really, readers, this is your blog. Really, it’s all about you. Yes, it is. Don’t argue with me. I’ve been talking and typing to share this info with you guys; If I wanted it for me, hell, I have my own mind to store the info I find!
But now, it’s my turn. I’ve been going through a rough patch, naming wise. I’m having second thoughts about some names, I’m adding names that leap up the lists, and I’m seriously confused. (More so than usual!) Recently, I’ve been having inner duals between Caroline and Coraline, Lydia is nearing the top of the charts, Josephine has been stirred into the mix, Beatrix is squeezing her way into the combos, Isadora is slipping a bit, I’m reconsidering Evangeline, Susanna is being moved into the middle slot, I’m reconsidering double middle names, and Eloise has entered the fray of middle names, to name a few.
As for my boys, my top two (James Daniel and Archer Leonard) are still the best for me, but after that, I blank. I’m not sure what the fudge to do. Sure, there are plenty of names I like, Harrison, Declan, Ciaran, Bennett, Harper, Stellan… But none of those really spark, really show me I could use them, like Archer and James do for me.
I don’t know what I need, whether it’s a break, naming rehab, or just a stronger dosage of medication (or perhaps a combination), but I’m truly at a loss. I’m grasping at straws. I used to be able to play Baby Name Games where you had to name 10 children, and I’d struggle to decide whether Mitchell or Levi would be my last kid, ’cause I loved both of them; or whether I should use Margaret and Denise for middle names, or Leah and Angela. But now? Now, I have four blanks left (mainly for my boys), and I constantly think, I would seriously only use three or four of these names on real kids of mine.
I’ve also been toying with the idea of bringing back my double middle names, but with a twist: The first time around, I used both middle names as opportunities to use family names. This time, I’ve been considering using the first middle name as a name I like so much I don’t want to give it up, and the second middle saved for family names. (So instead of Caroline Anita Margaret, I’d use Lydia Caroline Anita.)
So let’s have an inverted blog, just for this post. I want you guys to give me information. Whether that’s just your favorite name at the moment, how you’ve revamped your lists, or how you deal when you baby naming mind is swamped, tell me. If anyone has some tips for this type of rehabilitation, I’d be more than willing to hear them. Toodle pip!
05 Aug 2009
Tags: Alexander, Alexandra, Alistair, Amanda, Anneliese, Anstace, Araminta, Archie, Ashlyn, Ava, Benjamin, Bertram, Beth, Bethany, Bethwyn, Carmella, Charles, Charlotte, Christopher, Connor, Cosmo, Daniel, Darcey, Dave, David, Deirdre, Digby, Dorricott, Eamon, Edward, Elisabeth, Eliza, Elizabeth, Eloise, Emberlynn, Emilia, Emily, Evelyn, Florence, Francis, Gabriella, Geneviève, George, Georgiana, Georgianna, Gianna, Grace, Hannelore, Harry, Henry, Iltid, Imogen, Iris, Isanne, Jack, Jaden, Jake, James, Jaslene, Jemima, Joe, Joey, John, Jolene, Joseph, Josh, Julissa, Justin, Kadin, Katarina, Katherine, Kathleen, Katiana, Koby, Laureline, Lauren, Leann, Liliana, Lilianna, Louis, Lucy, Luella, Lynn, Lyon, Marco, Margaret, Marianna, Marianne, Maribel, Maribeth, Maricela, Marilyn, Marisol, Marlena, Mary, Meryl, Michael, Molly, Morgan, Natalie, Nate, Nicole, Olivia, Poppy, Rebecca, Reese, Robert, Rose, Roseanna, Roseanne, Sam, Siobhan, Stanley, Stella, Stephen, Stuart, Taliesin, Timothy, Trevor, Tyler, Vanessa, Walter, Zachariah
Okay, so, failing my ability to come up for a good theme, I decided to combine a whole collaboration of ideas of mine that wouldn’t really render a long post themselves. And combining these short ideas makes for a fudging huge post that you most likely wouldn’t want to read if you were just told the size of the post. Confused? You should be. So am I.
So, we’re going to do several things today, so hold onto your knickers, it’ll be a bumpy ride. We will: List recent London Telegraph birth announcements, list multiples featured on ABC Family-turned-CMT show, Nanny 911, rant about a kid on It’s Me or the Dog, and, of course, go over popular (and my favorite) smushes!
First up, the stylings of recent Leo babies from the ever-lovely London Telegraph:
• Alexandra Grace (and Georgiana Elizabeth)
• Darcey Elizabeth (sister for Jamie)
• Darcey Florence (and Poppy Eliza)
• Eliza Mary
• Emilia (sister for Sophia)
• Emily Katherine
• Evelyn Margaret Elizabeth
• Geneviève Anstace Dorricott
• Georgiana Elizabeth (and Alexandra Grace)
• Imogen Eloise (sister for Willem)
• Jemima Elizabeth Mary (sister for Edward)
• Lucy Olivia (sister for Sophie)
• Olivia Charlotte Iris
• Poppy Eliza (and Darcey Florence)
• Stella Rose Elisabeth (sister for Thomas and Charlie)
• Archie Walter Harry (brother for Oscar)
• Benjamin Digby (brother for Nena)
• Charles Alexander Iltid
• Cosmo Alistair
• Edward Michael Lyon (brother for Flora and Molly)
• George Bertram
• Henry Archie Alexander (brother for Julia)
• James Alexander Morgan (brother for Emily)
• James Timothy
• John Robert
• Louis James Taliesin
• Stuart John
• Zachariah Stanley
(babies born in a time period from July 27th to August 1st)
And now, onto multiples featured on Nanny 911. (If they have other non-multiple siblings, I’ll list them as well.)
• Jack and Francis (twin brothers for CJ, Michael, and Joseph)
• Nate, Sam, and Josh (triplet brothers with twin brothers Jake and Joey)
• Jake and Joey (twin brothers with triplet brothers Nate, Sam, and Josh)
• John, Joseph, Lynn, and Nicole (quadruplet siblings for Faith)
• Molly, Natalie, and Rebecca (triplet sisters for Olivia, Hannah, Kaeley, and Amelia)
• Bethany, Michael, and Lauren (triplet siblings for Kimberly)
• Alexandra and Amanda (adopted twin siblings for twin siblings Katarina and Stephen, and twin brothers Daniel and David)
• Katarina and Stephen (twin siblings for adopted twin sisters Alexandra and Amanda, and twin brothers Daniel and David.)
• Daniel and David (twin brothers for adopted twin sisters Alexandra and Amanda, and twin siblings Katarina and Stephen.)
• Carmella, Chistopher, Gabriella, and Gianna (quadruplet siblings for Sal)
• Alexandra and Amanda (twin sisters for Mikey)
• Reese and Trevor (twin brothers for Zack and Max)
• Kadin and Koby (twin brothers for Imari)
• Christopher, Justin, and Tyler (triplet brothers)
• Marco and Charles (twin brothers for Anthony Jr., Gianna, Samantha, and Dominick)
• Deirdre and John (twin siblings for triplet sisters Kathleen, Mary, and Siobhan, and sister Ann)
• Kathleen, Mary, and Siobhan (triplet sisters for twin siblings Deirdre and John, and sister Ann)
• Beth, Dave, and Joe (triplet siblings)
• Jack and Ava (twin siblings)
• Eamon and James (twin brothers)
Note: Marco and Charles, Deirdre and John, Jack and Ava, and Eamon and James may not be twins, but were listed as the same age, so I considered them twins.
My favorite name set of the group? Probably Molly, Natalie, and Rebecca, but only because the whole family of kids had good names — With the exception of oddball Kaeley. Where the fudge did she come from??? Worst set? Probably Kadin and Koby. Ugh. At the least, they could have changed the spellings to Cayden and Kobe, or, if they wanted to further improve it, they could have altered the names to Aiden and Jacoby. I’m still a bit surprised about two separate Alexandra/Amanda twins.
And now, onto my rant about a little girl I saw on Animal Planet’s hit show, It’s Me or the Dog, starring Victoria Stilwell. I can’t remember the family’s name, or even the dog’s name, for that matter, but I do remember the couple had a little girl whose name astounded me in all the wrong ways. Channeling A Boy Named Sue, I bring you: A Girl Named Connor.
That really disgusted me. People considering them is one thing, but actually seeing a person named Connor? A girl named Connor? It was a horrible feeling. Horrible. Horrible, horrible, horrible. I don’t know how much I can say it.
And now, for the smushiest part of the post! Yes, smushes! Here are some of the most popular and/or best (in my opinion) smushie names.
• Anneliese (Anne and Elisabeth)
• Araminta (Arabella and Aminta)
• Ashlyn (Ashley and Lynn)
• Bethwyn (Beth and Gwyn)
• Emberlynn (Ember and Lynn)
• Georgianna (Georgia and Anna)
• Hannelore (Hannah and Lora)
• Isanne (Isabel and Anne)
• Jaden (Jay and Aiden)
• Jaslene (Jasmine and -lene)
• Jolene (Jo and Eileen)
• Julissa (Julia and Melissa)
• Katiana (Katrina and Tatiana)
• Laureline (Laure and Line)
• Leann (Lee and Ann)
• Lilianna/Liliana (Lily and Anna/Ana)
• Luella (Lou and Ella)
• Marianne/Marianna (Marie/Maria and Anne/Anna)
• Maribel (Maria and Isabel)
• Maribeth (Mary and Beth)
• Maricela (Maria and Celia)
• Marilyn (Mary and Lynn)
• Marisol (Maria and Sol/Soleil)
• Marlena (Mary and Magdalene)
• Meryl (Mary and Louise)
• Roseanne/Ros(e)anna (Rose and Anne/Anna)
• Vanessa (Van and Esther)
Just so you know: I certainly do not think all of these smushie names are great. Some are downright mean. (*coughcough* Jaden Emberlynn *coughcough*) But some I do absolutely adore, including Anneliese, Araminta, Hannelore, Isanne, Maribel, Maricela, Marisol, and Marlena, and, admittedly, Jolene. (I’m sorry, the Dolly Parton love my mother instilled in me is creeping its way into the baby naming sector of my brain! “Jolene, Jolene, Jolene, JO-LEEEN, please don’t take him just because you can…”)
One thing I love about smushes is that they kill two (or more) metaphorical birds with one single, metaphorical stone. Have a Grandma Louise, while the DH has Nana Eleanor? Luella is a perfect choice! Great-grandma Josephine and Auntie Eileen? Jolene to the rescue! (And specially for Emmy Jo,) Or perhaps your mother’s middle name is Anne, and hubby’s mama has a middle of Elisabeth? Anneliese will help sort things out for you.
Just a note: I am so not going to add tags until later. I’m wiped out just from this post!
Edit: Okay, tags are done! WOO HOO!
24 Jul 2009
Tags: Angel, Brianna, Bryce, Imani, Jeremiah, Lynn, Na'Tae, Payton, Ron, Ryan, Xzavion
So, I was sitting on my couch, just updating my Facebook and creating my new personal blog (check it out here), when Maury came on. I usually don’t watch it, in fact, I’ve probably only seen it three times — But this one caught my eye. This episode had more baby-daddy DNA tests than any other, with multiple men refusing babies, and multiple women for each man saying he’s the father. Being a complete name nerd, the names more than anything got my attention. So here are the babies with fleeting fathers:
1. Amber and Ashley are teenaged sisters, 17 and 16, respectively, who claim that their babies are fathered by teenaged brothers (not their brothers), who are 17 and 20, respectively. Amber claims 17-year-old Gabe is the father of her baby girl, Payton (didn’t see spelling, might be Peyton), and Ashley claims 20-year-old Dana is the father of her baby girl, Angel.
Amber and Gabe’s Baby: Payton (G) — Proclaimed father IS the baby’s daddy
Ashley and Dana’s Baby: Angel (G) — Proclaimed father IS the baby’s daddy
2. Shawmikia, Brittany, and Jasmine are three women who each claim that one man, Cory, is the father of each of their children.
Shawmikia and Cory’s Baby: Na’Tae (G) — Proclaimed father IS the baby’s daddy
Brittany and Cory’s Baby: Xzavion (B) — Proclaimed father IS the baby’s daddy
Jasmine and Cory’s Baby: Jeremiah (B) — Proclaimed father IS NOT the baby’s daddy
3. Alicia was Tommy’s girlfriend for several months until Tommy abandoned pregnant Alicia, and he moved on to Brandi, who also got pregnant. Both claim Tommy is the father of their child, but Brandi is convincing Tommy that he is not the father of Alicia’s baby. Brandi’s baby was born only three days before Alicia’s baby.
Alicia and Tommy’s Baby: Bryce (B) — Proclaimed father IS the baby’s daddy
Brandi and Tommy’s Baby: Ryan (B) — Proclaimed father IS NOT the baby’s daddy
4. Jennifer slept with brothers Danny and David within weeks, became pregnant, and is unsure of who is the father. Danny was tested first, and signed the birth certificate, although he did not know whether he was the father at the time. David was tested second, and says he hopes he is not the father.
Jennifer and Danny/David’s Baby: Imani Jolie (G) — Danny IS NOT the father; David IS the father
(This one was heartbreaking… They shows the brothers backstage, and Danny was outwardly crying about not being Imani’s father. He was crushed… It really made me sad.)
5. Haydee was working at a club at a rough time in her life, and in a short amount of time, slept with three different men. She became pregnant, gave birth, and said it was bittersweet, as she was elated at her child’s birth, but sad that she didn’t know who the father was. Early in her pregnancy, she thought Ray was the father. Later on, she thought the third, unnamed man was the father. After her child’s birth, she thought Edwin was the father.
Haydee and Ray/Edwin/Name Withheld’s Baby: Lynn (G) — Name Withheld IS NOT the father; Ray IS NOT the father; Edwin IS NOT the father
(That was an emotional moment! Three guys, not the father… Wow.)
6. Ruth was put into a foster home at three years old. At six, she was diagnosed with both speech problems and a learning disability. At fifteen, she was looking for someone to love her, and she started sleeping with many men. She’s hoping her boyfriend Keith is the father, but two other men, Dustin and Daniel, may also be her baby’s daddy. (There could be as many as five that may be the father of Ruth’s baby.)
Ruth and Keith/Dustin/Daniel’s Baby: Angel (G) — Dustin IS NOT the father; Daniel IS NOT the father; Keith IS NOT the father
(Well, there were 5+ men that could have fathered the kid…)
7. Misty had no idea who the father of her child is, and there are four men who may be the baby’s daddy. All men believe they are not the father; several believe Misty is a whore. Dee and Timboo are brothers.
Misty and Mario/Dee/Timboo/Black’s Baby: Ron (B) — Black IS NOT the father; Mario IS NOT the father; Timboo IS NOT the father; Dee IS NOT the father
(Interesting, considering Misty said earlier there was no chance of anyone else being Ron’s father.)
8. Jolie was so desperate for a child, that she actually slept with her mother’s fiance (Steve). She became pregnant, and worries that if her mother’s fiance is the father, her relationship with her mother will be ruined. Jolie’s ex-boyfriend (Mike) may also be the father.
Jolie and Steve/Mike’s Baby: Brianna (G) — Mike IS NOT the father; Steve IS NOT the father
So, Payton, Angel, Na’Tae, Xzavion, Jeremiah, Bryce, Ryan, Imani, Lynn, Angel, Ron, and Brianna… Prepare to have a tough life!
Is it just me, or is the fact that two female Angels cropped up in this field not surprising? What do you think, guys?
13 Jul 2009
Tags: Angel, Bruce, Bruno, Brutus, Carl, Carlos, Chance, Chase, Christopher, Coco, Cooper, Daisy, Dixie, Hank, Holden, John, Johnny, King, Lily, Lottie, Maggie, Maisie, Mattea, Molly, Oscar, Paul, Piper, Poppy, Posey, Russell, Rusty, Sadie, Sasha, Terry
I’d like to start off with a kudos and congratulations to actress Mira Sorvino and hubby Christopher Backus on the birth of their wonderfully-named baby boy: Holden Paul Terry Backus! Don’t know Mira? Maybe not her name, but you’ll remember her: She starred in Mighty Aphrodite as Linda Ash (1995), Romy & Michele’s High School Reunion as Romy White (1997), The Great Gatsby as Daisy Buchanan (2000), and guest starred in a 2008 episode of House (“Frozen”) as Dr. Cate Milton. Now you probably remember her. She had a long, complicated pregnancy, but now it’s reported that mother and son are just fine. Holden joins fellow wonderfully-named sister Mattea Angel (born 2004) and brother John “Johnny” Christopher King (born 2006). Congrats for the birth, kudos on the names!
And now, onto the post that goes along with the eyebrow-raising title. This post is based on names commonly used on babies, but sound (to me, at least) like they belong on a Cocker Spaniel.
***Note: Some of these names are nicknames. Some of these nicknames sound perfectly human when used in their longer form, but these nicknames, to me, sound canine-inspired. Also, no offense to anyone who likes/has/knows anyone with a name listed here.***
The Bitches: (No, I’m not being derogatory.)
• Lily (I’m just so sick and tired of hearing this name on little girls, it’s a breath of fresh air to hear it on a dog.)
But, like I said, most of these are just nicknames that are wonderful on a human child if they have a longer name form. Would any of you like to share names you think sound best fit for pups? C’mon now, I’ll give you a treat if you do!
12 Jul 2009
Tags: Abigail, Abilene, Abrielle, Addison, Adelaide, Adelheid, Adelie, Adeline, Alison, Alydia, Amaire, Amaya, Amelia, Ana, Anna, Annabella, April, Arabella, Athena, Ava, Avalon, Aveline, Avis, Avril, Bethany, Caelan, Caitlin, Calla, Caroline, Carolynn, Caylin, Cecelia, Chloe, Claire, Clara, Cleo, Clifford, Colette, Daniel, Daniella, David, Elijah, Elise, Eliza, Elizabeth, Ella, Elle, Emese, Emiliana, Emily, Emma, Emmeline, Esme, Estella, Eva, Evangeline, Eveline, Evelyn, Gabrielle, Gail, Isabella, Isadora, Isanna, Iseult, Isis, Isla, Isolde, Jaime, Jane, Jasmine, Jayla, Jazmin, Kaitlyn, Karina, Kelly, Kylee, Laura, Liesel, Liesl, Lisa, Lisbet, Lisette, Livia, Lluvia, Louise, Lydia, Lyn, Madeleine, Madelynn, Madison, Magdalena, Magdalene, Maria, Mariah, Marie, Matilda, Milena, Milly, Minerva, Nora, Octavia, Odessa, Odette, Olive, Olivia, Olympia, Richard, Rose, Serafina, Seth, Skyla, Sonia, Sonora, Sonya, Sophia, Stella, Sylvia, Tallulah, Teegan, Tova, Trevor
Sorry for the break! Went on a small vacation to my cousin’s house for the weekend, and they have horrible internet connection, so I was held hostage from my baby-naming groupies. But, never fear: I’M BACK! Or maybe that’s all the more reason to be fearful.
First off, I’d like to introduce my latest blogging idea: Every time I post, I’ll start it off by listing the recent births in my area. If I truly dislike the name, I’ll list what I think the name should have been in parentheses.
• Addison Claire (Adelaide Claire)
• Alydia Kylee Rose (Lydia Karina Rose)
• Carolynn Mariah (Caroline Maria)
• Gabrielle Jaime Lyn
• Jayla Amaire Jazmin (Jane Amaya Jasmine)
• Kaitlyn Elizabeth (Caitlin Elizabeth)
• Madelynn Louise (Madeleine Louise)
• Teegan Marie (Tallulah Maria)
• Elijah David
• Elijah Richard
• Seth Clifford
• Trevor Daniel
And now, to the real post:
No, I’m not doing Ann and Andy, so get that out of your minds right now. What I’m focusing on today are names that are worn-and-torn, every single place you go. Basically, that means the top ten names. (I’m only using girl names today, as boy names have a tendency to be classic.) Then, I’ll give you similar alternatives that give you the same feel, but much less used!
Rag Doll: Emma
Alternative(s): Anna/Ana, Clara, Emmeline, Ella, Esme, Isla, Laura, Nora, Stella, Emese (EM-eh-SHEH). Special thanks to Sebastiane for suggesting Emese as an alternative to this Rag Doll!
Rag Doll: Isabella
Alternative(s): Isadora, Isolde (Or Iseult), Isanna, Isis, Isla, Annabella, Arabella, Daniella, Estella
Rag Doll: Emily (Not really a rag doll name, but really popular, so I’ll list alternatives.)
Alternative(s): Amelia, Matilda (both names can have NN Milly), Milena (Mee-LANE-Uh), Emiliana
Rag Doll: Madison
Alternative(s): Madeleine, Magdalene, Magdalena, Alison, Adelaide, Adelheid, Adeline, Adelie
Rag Doll: Ava
Alternative(s): Avalon, Aveline, Avril, Avis, Eva (or Evelyn, Evangeline, Eveline), Tova
Rag Doll: Olivia
Alternative(s): Olive, Sylvia, Octavia, Lluvia (YOO-vee-ah), Livia, Olympia, Odessa, Odette
Rag Doll: Sophia
Alternative(s): Serafina, Sonora, Sonya/Sonia, Athena (both mean Wisdom), Minerva (both mean Wisdom)
Rag Doll: Abigail
Alternative(s): Gail, Abilene, Abrielle, April
Rag Doll: Elizabeth (This isn’t really a rag doll, as it’s a classic, but I’ll list alternatives anyway.)
Alternative(s): Eliza, Bethany, Lisbet, Lisette, Elise, Lisa, Liesel/Liesl, Elle
Rag Doll: Chloe
Alternative(s): Cleo, Calla, Skyla, Cecelia, Caylin/Caelan, Clara, Colette, Kelly
09 Jul 2009
Tags: Abigail, Abilene, Addison, Alexander, Alexis, Amelia, Angel, Ann, Anne-Marie, Anthony, Anyda, Avery, Belle, Blakely, Brook, Brooke, Camden, Cassandra, Charles, Cody, Connor, Daniel, Danielle, David, Deacon, Dean, Deseo, Douglas, Eileen, Elaine, Eliza, Elizabeth, Emma, Ethan, Gage, Gavin, Giara, Gordon, Grace, Gracie, Gunner, Harper, Hayden, Isabella, Isaiel, Izabelle, James, Jane, Jaxz, Jeffrey, JoAnnah, Jonathen, Jordyn, Kamrin, Kayden, Kelsey, Kinsley, Landon, Lane, Lee, Liliana, Lily, Lilyana, Lloyd, Logan, Lorenz, Lorraine, Louise, Lynn, Lynne, Mae, Maison, Margaret, Mariah, Marie, Martin, Mason, Matthew, Maxwell, Michael, Miranda, Morgan, Nicole, Nikole, Paige, Payton, Penny, Peyton, Rae, Raine, Rashad, Ray, Reed, Renee, Rhyder, Richard, Rick, Robert, Rose, Russell, Ryder, Rylee, Sara, Serenity-Ann, Star, Stephen, Sydney, Timothy, Tony, Trevor, Trey, Troy, Ty, Victoria, Violet, Wesley, Zoe, Zoey
I figured that for my first real reporting post, I’d start out by researching new babies’ names in my area. So, as of recently, these little tykes have been blessed (or cursed) with these monikers:
• Abigail Marie Angel
• Abilene Rose
• Addison Grace
• Alexis Marie
• Amelia Rose
• Avery Marie (Grr! I hate Avery on a girl!)
• Blakely Ann
• Brook Eliza
• Brooke Nicole
• Cassandra Marie
• Danielle Elizabeth
• Elizabeth Renee
• Emma Louise
• Emma Marie (Could they have chosen a more predictable name??)
• Giara Star Marie
• Gracie Mae
• Isabella Eileen
• Isabella Lorraine
• Izabelle Grace
• Jaxz JoAnnah (They just completely f’d up this kid’s life.)
• Jordyn Alexis
• Kelsey Anyda (They totally butchered Anita here.)
• Kinsley Rae
• Liliana Elizabeth
• Lily Reed
• Lilyana Elaine (and Trey Richard)
• Margaret Elizabeth
• Miranda Morgan
• Mariah Belle
• Paige (no middle name)
• Paige Elizabeth
• Paige Nikole
• Payton Lynne
• Penny Lane
• Peyton Grace
• Raine Lee (and Rylee Ann)
• Rylee Ann (and Raine Lee)
• Sara Lynn
• Serenity-Ann Elaine
• Sydney Grace
• Victoria Lynn
• Violet Jane
• Zoe Belle
• Zoey Ann-Marie
• Zoey Rae
• Alexander Douglas
• Camden James
• Charles Anthony
• Cody James
• Connor James
• Daniel James
• David Martin
• Deacon Richard
• Ethan Gunner
• Gage Stephen
• Gavin James
• Harper David (YES!)
• Isaiel Deseo
• Jonathen Maison (They had to butcher both names?!)
• Kamrin Michael
• Kayden Robert
• Landon Jeffrey
• Logan Avery
• Logan Douglas
• Mason Richard
• Mason Russell
• Matthew David
• Maxwell Lorenz
• Michael Lloyd
• Rashad Lee
• Rhyder Dean
• Rick Hayden
• Ryder (no middle name)
• Timothy Stephen
• Tony Ray
• Trevor Matthew
• Trey Richard (and Lilyana Elaine)
• Troy David
• Ty James
• Wesley Gordon
I’d like to mention that Raine Lee and Rylee Ann are my sister’s best friend’s nieces. Congrats, Katrina, on your new nieces!!
My favorites were probably Amelia Rose and Abilene Rose for the girls (Abilene completely off-handed me here, I just found out about this name! Expect a NoTD shortly on the name). For the boys, Harper David was the clear winner. I’m just thrilled that Harper was used on a boy! It’s definitely on my Wildcard list, as of now.
My least favorites are… bad. Very, very, very bad. I feel so sorry for Jaxz JoAnnah. (And Serenity-Ann, but she’s not nearly as bad.) They couldn’t have at least used Jazz Joanna? Or, in a perfect world, Jasmine Josephine? Sigh… I pity that kid, truly and dearly. Who else thinks the parents were illiterate 14-year-olds? The boy, on the other hand, isn’t completely terrible… Just a horrible spelling of a very bad name to start. Rhyder takes the cake here, and I can only imagine how many times he’ll say R-H-Y-D-E-R in his life. (I’m guessing somewhere around the billions.) Names like Rashad and Isaiel I’ll discount on a ‘foreign parents’ charge, but if these people are Anglo-Saxon, they have no excuse for those names. (Kamrin, Jonathen, and Kayden almost took top prize for Worst Boy’s Name.)
So, what do you think? Are the 2 Abbys, 3 Isabella/Izabelles, 3 Lily variants, 3 Paiges, 2 Peyton/Paytons, 3 Zoe(y)s, 2 Logans, 2 Masons, and 2 R(h)yders surprising to you? Are you surprised at the amount of Belles in the middle place? The Lynns, Roses, Maries, Raes, James’, Douglas’ — Are they too much?
***These names were gotten from birth announcements during June/early July of ’09 in my area.***